I love baking a sweet and comforting morning breads. I can say I baked a hundreds of them so far. I always try to find the best solution to actually prepare some sweet but at the same time a home-made and healthier substitutes of morning treats. Banana nut bread, pumpkin bread or carrot-apple bread are one of them.
Here is another one I tried past pre-Christmas week and I do recommend preparing it for one of the following Christmas mornings and enjoy it together with a cup of coffee or a hot Chai Latte. Can be eaten as it is or topped with jam or a nut-based butter.
- 230gr spelt flour (white and wholegrain in 2:1 ratio)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mix of spices: nutmeg, kardamom, cloves and anise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120gr butter
- 20gr vegetable oil (sunflower or olive oil)
- 110gr cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup hot water
- Start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare your bread baking tin with either an oil or butter and dust with the flour.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flours, soda, spices and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Prepare your mollases mixture by combining the hot water with molasses until it becomes completely dissolved. Stir the mixture into the egg part.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and form the dough.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about 55 minutes. Leave the bread to cool completely before removing it out.
- To top it off, you can make a cinnamon glaze by whisking the 1/2 tsp cinnamon with 2 tbsp milk and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Then just pour it over the bread and satisfy your sweet tooth !