What could be better than morning coffee with some cake? Morning coffee with this apple & yoghurt cake, perfect for that gloomy autumn morning I am sure everyone of you have already experienced.
So if you want to fill your home with a scent of apple and cinnamon, try to make this one. Because of the choosen ingredients, it will boost your mood and warm you up from the inside out.
Apple & Yoghurt cake with Cinnamon Crumble topping
- 630 grams of apples (about 4 bigger apples)
- 3 bigger eggs
- 1 cup of cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup of white plain yoghurt (about 220 grams)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose spelt flour
- 1 cup whole-grain spelt or whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
For the crumble:
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of cane sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease and flour a cake pan.
- In a larger bowl, mix together the yoghurt, olive oil, eggs, lemon juice, sugar and vanilla.
- Peel the apples and cut them into smaller chunks. Add them into wet ingredients.
- Stir in the flours, baking powder and soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Prepare the cinnamon crumble: combine two teaspoons of cinnamon with sugar and butter so that you create a lumpy, crumble mixture.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan, sprinkle with half of the cinnamon crumble, pour the other half of the batter and end up with the rest of the crumble.
- Bake for 45 minutes. I recommend putting the baking paper on the top of the cake for the last 10 minutes so that your cake won’t get overbaked.